Programs & Courses
Financial Aid

Criminal Record Check (CRC)

NWCC requires applicants in select programs to successfully complete the Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check Type B Application for 'working with children' or ‘working with children and vulnerable adults'.

Criminal Records Checks (CRC) will be required for admission to some programs to ensure that it is appropriate for students to participate in practicum components or who may be in contact with children and vulnerable populations. This includes programs that are run in a setting off campus. Criminal record checks may be governed by external bodies and may be updated as mandated by them without notice.

Please note the following information:

  • Completion of a CRC is required before the practicum placement or before acceptance, depending on the program.  The presence of certain crimes on the record may prevent practicum placement, graduation and subsequent employment in the field of study.  Note that CRC’s may take up to a minimum of 8 weeks and are dependent on the back log of external agencies.
  • Completion of a CRC as per the Provincial Criminal Record Review Act may include BC Ministry of Justice Schedule Type B Criminal Records Check (CRC) or a Criminal Record Check as required under BC Child Care Regulation.
  • International students applying to these programs will be required to provide a Police Certificate from their home country, in addition to the British Columbian Provincial or Canadian Federal Criminal Record Review. Any police certificates not in English must be accompanied by a notarized translation.

All completed Consent to a Criminal Record Check forms must be returned in person by the applicant to a NWCC campus.  Applicants must not submit forms directly to the Ministry themselves.


  1. Fully complete Part 1 – Application Information of the Ministry of Justice CRC.

  2. Sign and date the Consent for Release of Information and Acknowledgements (bottom of the CRC)

  3. Return it in person to any NWCC campus

  4. The completed form must have two pieces of ID, one primary and once secondary (see below).

  5. Staff will photocopy both front and back of ID, date stamp and sign it to confirm originals were seen.

  6. A $28 Certified Cheque or Money Order made payable to the Minister of Finance; OR the Application for Pre-Authorized Credit Card Usage [PDF].

  7. Allow for 4-6 weeks for processing

Primary and Secondary ID's required: 

Primary ID

  • BC Driver's Licence and Services Card (Combined Card)

  • BC Services Card (Photo Card)

  • BC Identification card (BCID)

  • Canadian driver's licence

  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) issued by Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC)

  • Original citizenship papers or immigration documents — these include: Record of Landing (IMM1000), Sponsorship Undertaking: Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292), Permanent Resident Card, Canadian Citizenship Certificate (after February 1, 2012), and a refugee protection claim or Temporary Resident Permit (IMM1442). (See note below).

  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate issued prior to February 1, 2012 (wallet sized card issued and includes photo)

  • Offender identification card issued by Correctional Service Canada

Secondary ID

  • BC Services Card (Non-Photo Card)

  • Birth certificate

  • Citizenship papers or immigration documents (without photo)

  • Credit cards

  • BC CareCard

  • Older versions of the Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) issued by AANDC (Laminated Certificate of Indian Status, Certificate of Indian Status "All-in-One," or Certificate of Indian Status "Pilot Project")

  • Other documents that, by themselves or in conjunction with other documents, would be considered acceptable identification for cheque cashing purposes at banks or other financial institutions

Offences Reviewed

A full list of reviewable offences reviewed during a Type B Criminal Record Check can be viewed at the Ministry of Justice

Sharing Criminal Record Check Results

You may share a previously completed criminal record check if you have completed a criminal record check in the last 5 years through the Ministry of Justice Criminal Records Review program.  Note: A criminal record check is considered complete once the result has been issued to an organization.  The check must be the same type of check to be acceptable.

To share criminal records checks with Northwest Community College, please complete the Sharing Form (PDF) and mail or fax it to the CRRP.

Any concern an applicant has with the CRC can directed to Admissions Officers or Deans/Directors of program areas.

Programs that currently require a CRC include but are not limited to: