Tailored to the needs of Northern BC, this 6-day course prepares students with knowledge and hands-on, practical skills to work safely as a Drill Core Technician in the mineral exploration industry.
Students will learn to handle drill core and collect important technical data for a diamond drilling project. Upon course completion, students will be able to process and safely handle core boxes, operate and maintain a core splitter, and use the correct procedures for handling samples.
Course topics include:
- Measuring core and recording technical data
- Handling, labeling, organizing, & storing core boxes
- Splitting and sampling core
- Quality assurance /quality control of data
- Familiarization with diamond drilling
- Safe work procedures and employer expectations
A Drill Core Technician is a physically and mentally demanding position that requires frequent carrying of up to 75 lb (35 kg) core boxes. This course prepares graduates to handle drill core and collect important technical data for diamond drilling projects. The quality of information provided by a Core Technician plays an important role in the prediction and definition of ore bodies.
Drill Core Technician Basic Training is available upon demand.
- Applicants must be able to pass a pre-assessment test for literacy and math (grade 10 level).
- Must have good health, be physically fit, and have good vision and hearing.
- Must be prepared to work outdoors in adverse weather.