The NWCC Hairdressing program combines the art and science of Hairdressing at a Foundations level. This 10-month program uses the Pivot Point Designer Approach Curriculum to provide students with the theoretical and practical application of the latest hairdressing skills. Learn through practical instruction and student participation with equipment in our own salon setting.
The Hairdressing Foundation is a full-time, 10-month program.
Program topics include:
- Salon Ecology
- Hair Cutting (Men & Women)
- Hair Styling
- Design Decisions
- Permanent Waving and Chemical Texturizing
- Hair Colouring
- Professional Development
- People Skills
- Salon Business
- Client Services
Visit the Industry Training Authority (ITA) site for a current Hairstylist program outline.
Hairstylists have many opportunities throughout the beauty industry including working in hair salons, spas, barber shops, schools, hair replacement clinics, health care establishments, hotels, and in the cruise, fashion and entertainment industries. With experience, hairstylists may move into other positions such as salon managers, owners, fashion consultants, educators, platform artists and product sales representatives.
Grade 12 OR Mature Student
- Criminal Record Check, AND
- English 10 or ENGL 030 or ENGL 032, AND
- Math 10 Essentials, Principles or Applications or MATH 0301/0302 or MATH 032 or Apprenticeship Workplace Math 10 (AWM 10), OR
- GED, OR
- Successful Completion of a CAT Assessment, OR
- Permission of Instructor.
|Location||Start Date||End Date|
|Terrace*||September 6, 2016||July 8, 2017|
|Smithers**||September 5, 2017||July 27, 2018|
*The 2016/17 program will take place at the CMSD Northwest Regional Trades & Employment Training Centre (formerly Thornhill Jr. Secondary School.)
**The 2017/18 program will take place at the Bulkley Valley Learning Center and will require adult learners to submit a CRC Criminal Record Check.
|FEES||Full-time Domestic (40 weeks)||Full-Time International (40 Weeks)|
|*Student Union Fees:||$122.58||$122.58|
|Health Insurance & Mandatory Fees:||N/A||$280.00|
|**Student Kit (taxes not included):||$1,400.00*||$1,400.00*|
**Please note that these are approximate costs and may vary.
Books & Supplies
Student kits will be available for purchase on the first day of class but should be paid in advance at the registration office.
In addition to the fees outline above, the following costs apply:
- Appropriate clothing adhering to the dress code; black or grey pants, closed toe black shoes (no sneakers) and hair and makeup done daily.
- Purchase of individual consumables after those in the student kits are consumed (ie: latex gloves, bobby pins etc.)
- Purchase of necessary learning resources (available at NWCC Bookstore)
- Learners are also required to provide pencils, pens, eraser, binders and paper.